Welcome to the UArizona Horn Studio!
Are you interested in studying horn at the college level? Do you want to join a community of horn players committed to excellence? You’ve come to the right place!
The UA Horn Studio provides outstanding opportunities for growth and success: guest artists and teachers visit frequently, there are two performance-based graduate assistantships for horn, and the studio has several special instruments for student use, including a Paxman natural horn and a Yamaha triple horn. The university has many opportunities for performance, with four large concert ensembles, horn choir, chamber music, and the Pride of Arizona marching band. I would be happy to plan a campus visit for you to experience the studio offerings for yourself!
My approach as a teacher is very individual: your specific goals will guide your path. I bring 15 years experience performing as an orchestral, solo, and chamber musician, plus decades working with students to achieve technical and musical growth. My teaching emphasizes physical and mental wellness, orchestral audition preparation, and artist development. Students are encouraged to explore collaborations, multimedia performances, and to build their entrepreneurial skills.
Former students have gone on to careers in music including positions with professional orchestras and service bands, plus all sorts of non-musical career paths, too. High-level, professional training is available for students pursuing horn performance, music education, bachelor of arts, double degrees, and music minors.
Last year’s guest artists included:
- Wei-Ping Chou, 2nd Horn Kennedy Center Opera/Washington National Opera
- Mill Ave Chamber Players
- Michael Walker, Horn Professor, University of New Mexico
- Annie Bosler and Dylan Skye Hart, Los Angeles Studio Musicians
- Lisa Ford, Principal Horn, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra (Sweden)
- Katy Ambrose, Horn Professor, University of Virginia
- Sonoran Brass Quintet
- David Byrd, International Contemporary Ensemble, and Horn Professor, Denver University
- Jeb Wallace, Horn Professor, Wichita State University
- Margaret Tung, Horn Professor, University of Kentucky
- Michelle Rimoli, Private Studio Teacher, New Mexico
- Matthew Haislip, Horn Professor, Mississippi State University
- Peter Solomon, Principal Horn, Shanghai Symphony Orchestra (China)
You can find more information about my background, teaching style, and the UA horn studio on this site. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me for more information or to set up an introductory lesson – email@example.com.